Sunday, August 7, 2011

Des Moines Chiropractic Newsletter - August

Our August, 2011 newsletter will be available online at Compass Chiropractic Newsletters. If needed, please use the links in the footer to opt out or change your account.
Compass Chiropractic August, 2011 E-Newsletter

The dog days of summer have arrived!


Special Olympics Over the Edge Fundraiser

How would you like to be pain-free and rappel down the side of the Financial Center in downtown Des Moines? Our Over the Edge Fundraiser may let one or two lucky Central Iowans do just that!

Through September, any new patient who donates $50 or more to our Over the Edge Fundraiser will receive a complementary first visit (exam, any needed spinal X-rays, and mechanical table massage up to $300 value).

For every $1,000 we raise, we can send a person over the edge of the Financial Center downtown on September 21. We will add new patients as well as our established patients who refer them to our office into a drawing to see who gets to go over the edge for Special Olympics.

Call (515) 309-1217 to schedule an appointment!

Introducing Jeanne

Background: Helping others achieve their needs has always been a goal of mine. My bachelor’s degree is in Elementary Education. After Brad and I got married and started a family, I chose to operate a Daycare in our home. After 12 years, I re-entered the hospitality and sales/retail industries and worked my way up to middle management and I remained there for the next 10 years. Customer service has always been a passion of mine. I love making people feel “taken care of.”

Favorite aspects of working at Compass Chiropractic: The patients are my favorite! I love developing new relationships with people. Everyone has something interesting about them and it’s a joy for me when they choose to share it. Second best part is having such a great boss! Dr. Krohse is such a terrific person to work with; he always makes me feel like everything is a team effort! This is a GREAT work environment!!

What I enjoy outside of work: My family!! We have 4 children whom are all young adults now. Brad and I just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary and are looking forward to adjusting to having an “empty nest” this fall. We enjoy listening to live music, going to movies and spending time outdoors.

How I give back to the community: When the kids were growing up, I was the mom who chaired every committee and ran every major fundraising event! Since they have graduated, I have turned my attention to helping other women deepen their spiritual relationships by facilitating several bible study groups.

Words to live by: Love is the most precious treasure any of us ever have. An attitude of gratitude is the key to living a happy healthy life.

Favorite local restaurant: Anywhere that offers a great steak and seafood combination!!

Something most patients don’t know about me: Baking, bible studies, reading and quilting are my hobbies.

Compass Chiropractic Cutest Pet Contest

Through the end of August we’ll have a binder in our waiting room where patients can vote on whose pet is the cutest. The winner of the contest will receive a $100 pet store gift card! Check some of the pictures submitted!



Raider (available to adopt through the Great Plains Pointer Rescue)



Boston



Buddy



Jax



Luca





Rosie



Semper Fi
Dr. Krohse Recommends Unbroken

On a friend and fellow runner’s recommendation, I recently picked up the book Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand through the Clive Library’s WILBOR audiobook system. This is one powerful, true story written by the same author who penned Seabiscuit. It tells the story of Louie Zamperini, who became the pride of the United States with his running performance in the 1936 Berlin Olympics. Following his success there, Louie ended up flying in the South Pacific where his plane crashed down. His trials on a life raft and in prisoner of war camps will leave you holding your breath as you will Louie to remain unbroken. I highly recommend this book to everyone!

&

J&Company Photography

When I needed new professional portraits for our office, I knew who to call. I’d been following J&Company Photography on Facebook and was impressed with Jennifer Marinangeli’s portfolio. She made our portraits fun, yet professional. I’d recommend her to anyone looking for great family, children, senior, professional, or wedding portraits.

Condition of the Month – Nutrition & Weight Management

The Standard Process Purification Program has enabled staff members and patients of Compass Chiropractic to get their nutrition on the right track. This 21 day program has generally resulted in people losing eight to nine percent of their body weight with most of the 30+ people who have purchased it at Compass Chiropractic reporting 14-18 pounds lost during the program. Along with the excitement of that rapid change, people have reported increased energy, improved digestion, decreased allergies, and other positive changes. Most importantly, this program allows you to eat an unlimited variety of vegetables and fruit, with the stipulation that you need to keep them in a 2:1 ratio. Because of this, many have been able to successfully transition into a healthier lifestyle and make the long term changes needed for continued successful maintenance of a healthy weight and body shape.

Dr. David Krohse at Compass Chiropractic is a great example of how this program can work. Though remaining active and participating in both the Hy-Vee Triathlon and the Des Moines Half Marathon in 2009, his weight on New Years Eve, 2009 put him at a BMI of 27.3: well into the overweight range. He started the program on January 2 and lost 15 pounds in 21 days. Over the next three weeks he lost another 10 pounds through continued better nutrition.

Through August 2011, Dr. Krohse has maintained between 25 and 35 pounds less weight than before going through the purification program.

Though our main specialties are neck pain, back pain, headaches, shoulder pain, hip pain, and sports injuries, we strive to empower our patients to whole life long-term wellness and better health. During the month of August, we have reduced the cost of the Standard Process Purification Program by $50 to $173 + tax.

Spotlight on Team Compass Chiropractic Athlete Marina McCollom

Sport: Tennis

Day Job: Director of Junior Tennis at 7 Flags Fitness & Raquet Club

Background: I am a professional tennis player competing on the USPTA national circuit for tennis teaching professionals. I am currently ranked #1 in singles in the Women's Open division. In the last couple of years I have won 9 out of the 10 national tournaments I entered, including the National Indoor Championships in Minneapolis, National Clay Court Championships in West Palm Beach, FL, International Championships in Palm Springs, CA and Marco Island, FL, and Hard Court Championships in Tyler, TX. I have also won the Player of the Year award for Women's Open division under the USPTA in 2008 and 2009.

Future Goals: My future goals include competing on the WTA tour (the most prestigious women's tennis organization) and earning a world ranking and recognition.

Experience at Compass Chiropractic: Before starting care with Dr. Krohse I hadn't tried chiropractic care. I was surprised how simple adjustments can positively affect your overall physical condition. I have had a chronic lower back pain for about a year. After starting treatment at Compass Chiropractic I haven't experienced any major problems in that area.

Dr. Krohse was friendly and professional. He took the time to develop a personal program for me so I can strengthen my body and prevent future problems. I feel that I have improved my flexibility and strengthened my core, which is very important to tennis players.

I would definitely recommend Compass Chiropractic to other athletes. Dr. Krohse is very knowledgeable and, as an athlete himself, understands the importance of ultimate physical condition to outstanding performance.

Calendar

1st Tues each Month – Kid's Day – Children under 13 receive ANY needed services (exams, adjustments, ART) at no charge

2nd Tues each Month – Athletes Day – Athletes any age bring a team picture or action picture and receive 1st day services (exam and any needed X-rays) at no charge

No comments: