Monday, May 7, 2012

Railroad Tunnel Trail to Hoover Dam Run Review - Running Las Vegas

Railroad Tunnel Trail to Hoover Dam Run Review - Running Las Vegas

While in Las Vegas for some continuing education, I needed to get two runs in as a part of my training plan from Run Faster from 5k to Marathon.  My first run took me to the west side of Las Vegas to Red Rock Canyon.  I stayed on the main 13 mile paid loop for the 8 mile out and back run and learned quickly that I was not doing enough hill work back in Des Moines.  The run was shortly before sunset and was beautiful and very challenging.  The first four miles were almost entirely uphill.  The return down was a different type of stress as I tried to coast down without letting my body pound much.

By Sunday, I'd researched other best runs around Las Vegas and decided I should head to the visitor center west of the Hoover Dam.  I hoped to run the Railroad Tunnels Trail but was concerned that it might be too rough to do an intense run on.  In that case I figured I could just hop on the paved River Mountains Loop Trail and run up the west shore of Lake Mead.  However, the Tunnel Trail was finely crushed gravel with just scattered golf ball sized rocks so was fine for my run.  Different online reviews of the trail gave different lengths.  I needed 10 miles total.  I took off and enjoyed the flat trail and great scenery.  Check the linked Runkeeper log to see pictures along the trail.  Ultimately, I made it across the Dam and enjoyed seeing the huge new bridge down river.  I wound my way up the road to the east of the dam and was thrilled to find that I hit 5 miles right at the end of the road.  It's more satisfying when runs have a  sense of completion.  The run back called for moderate intensity during the last 30 minutes and I enjoyed a tailwind that made it more rewarding to crank up the intensity.

I highly recommend a run on the Railroad Tunnels Trail and Hoover Dam on your next visit to Las Vegas!


Compass Chiropractic

No comments: