Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Des Moines Chiropractic Newsletter - February 2013

Compass Chiropractic February 2013 E-Newsletter


We bought a Leap Pad 2


That's right, to go with our new location we picked up one of these fun tablets to make our office even more kid friendly.  The little ones can learn while playing games and taking pictures with this little techno-gadget before their adjustment or while they wait for mom or dad to get some care.

Pain-Free & Efficient Running Workshop

At 5:00 pm on Thursday, February 28 Compass Chiropractic will host a free Pain-Free & Efficient Running Workshop. The concepts and techniques of low impact running styles will be introduced. A workshop will follow where participants will practice drills to integrate these concepts into their running. The session will end with video and slow motion review of participants running form. Participants should arrive in clothes and shoes suitable to run in. Suggested RSVP to 515-309-1217 or compasschiro@gmail.com.

Check the testimonials below!

Dr. Krohse was referred to me by a colleague and quickly became a trusted care provider for both chiropractic adjustments as well as ART treatments.  As an amateur athlete/triathlete, I was battling issues with neck pain/headaches and knee pain.  Adjustments as well as ART helped get me into a maintenance mode with my overall wellness, but I continued to have some nagging issues with my right knee.

We were able to schedule time to go through the techniques and philosophy of Pain-Free Running.  At first I was in denial about my heel striking but after reviewing the video and discussing some of the drills, it was obvious I had room for improvement.  Initially the changes felt awkward after decades of my old running style and my running times per mile were definitely slower and not impressive.  What I did note fairly quickly was the reduction of pain in my knee which has since gone away.  It's been over two years since I've changed my technique and I have been able to cut close to a minute per mile off my average pace in Half Ironman races (sub-7:45's now) as well as feel my running is more effortless. 

-Sara

Just wanted to drop you a line thanking you so much for last night's workshop. I incorporated the simple techniques into my run tonight and I ran faster than I ever have, had more energy at the end - never ended up feeling winded or tired and actually felt like I could have gone another couple of miles - and my knees didn't hurt and aren't hurting now at all! Thank you so much. I'm thrilled and looking forward to my long run this Saturday to see what a difference it makes there.

-Blair


Dr. Krohse implemented the techniques at the Kansas City Groundhog Run this January

Why We Get Fat & Sick & What To Do About It - A Free Discussion of How and Why a Paleo, Lower Carbohydrate Diet Can Improve Your Physique, Health, Athletic Performance, and Life
 
At 5:30 pm on Thursday, March 7 Compass Chiropractic will host a presentation by Dr. David Krohse on the benefits of paleo and lower carbohydrate diets.  With fascinating examples, he'll show how the SAD diet (Standard American Diet) has sent America on a trajectory toward epidemic rates of obesity and chronic, deadly diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.  He'll then explain how you can simply and efficiently achieve improved health and ideal body weight without having to cut calories or exercise excessively.  Suggested RSVP to 515-309-1217 or compasschiro@gmail.com. Free.

Sandy Recommends Steak de Burgo

Born and bred in Iowa, I love beef.  My favorite?  Steak de Burgo.  I've come to learn that this delicious grilled beef is somewhat unique to Iowa and local area restaurants.  It's made with a high quality cut of beef -- I recommend beef tenderloin -- then marinated overnight and grilled to perfection.  Over the years, through trial and error and from occasionally stumbling upon various recipes, my husband and I have crafted our own version of Steak de Burgo.

1/2 cup salad oil
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Italian seasonings
1 T Dijon mustard
1 T fresh garlic puree
1 T fresh ground black pepper
1 t salt
Dash of Tabasco sauce
6-10 small beef tenderloin medallions
10 fresh, sliced mushrooms (optional)

Using a blender or food processor, mix the following ingredients well:  oils, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, Italian seasonings, ustard, garlic, pepper and Tabasco sauce.  Place the beef in a glass or ceramic pan or bowl.  Top with the marinade mixture and let stand overnight (covered) in refrigerator.  (Before pouring over beef, reserve a small amount of marinade for use with mushrooms.)  Grill, broil or saute beef until desired temperature and doneness.  Grill or saute mushrooms in the reserved marinade and top or serve with the beef medallions.  For the true garlic lovers of the world, add more garlic puree to the marinade.  This recipe and meat also works well in kabobs.

Sheri recommends Source Naturals Wellness Herbal Resistance Liquid
  
Some of you may have seen me drinking out of my water bottle at the office and wondered what on earth is that slightly brown-colored water she is drinking?  My water has a kick to it!  The kick being Source Naturals Wellness Herbal Resistance Liquid.  We are full blown into cold and flu season.  I have only gotten the flu shot once in my life, and I swear that was the year I got whooping cough and then bronchitis several weeks later!  Instead during “the season of sickness” I opt for natural, herbal ways to boost my immune system and keep me healthy.  I started out 7-8 years ago putting a mixture of Echinacea and goldenseal in liquid form into my water.  It tasted like dirt, really,... I am serious about that.  After all, they are both root herbs.  I got use to it though and it never stopped me from taking it because the benefits I got with avoiding colds and flu.  Three years ago I discovered this brand of resistance liquid and fell in love with it!  It is alcohol free with a powerful combination of Echinacea, goldenseal, and a Chinese herbal complex called Yin Chiao.  The Echinacea and goldenseal boost your immune system, while the Yin Chiao helps your body maintain a state of balance.  The beauty of this product?  It does not taste like dirt!  Yeah for me!  It has peppermint in it to help it taste better.  And you might be wondering what Yin Chiao is?  It is a herbal combo of Japanese honeysuckle, forsythia fruit (both said to clear heat, expel wind, and eliminate toxins from the body), peppermint leaf, germinated soy bean, licorice root, schizanepeta aerial parts, phragmites stem, platycodon root, burdock seed and bamboo shoot.  It also contains honey, so if you are allergic to bee products do not try this.  All I can tell you is that my husband a few weeks ago had the flu pretty bad for 3-5 days, running a temp of 102!  I immediately started drinking my “special water” and never did catch his flu or any other for that matter so far this season!  Double “Yeah” for me! You can find the Sources Naturals Wellness product at most health stores like Campbell’s or The Vitamin Shoppe, they carry several immune boosting items.  So check them out!

Dr. Krohse recommends the Red Flannel Run

Central Iowa's running season starts with the Red Flannel Run in downtown Des Moines on February 16.  Don your finest red and black attire, round up your friends and family, and come down to run or walk.  The run starts next to the downtown YMCA and leads you toward the Capitol building before heading on a tour of the east village and downtown.  You can sign up for a 3 or 5 mile run.  Post race goodies are top notch and the fun level is high.

Additionally, this year the run is also a commemoration of Luke Simmons.  Luke was the brother-in-law of one of my best friends.  He was a young man who loved running, but was tragically struck by lightning while on a trail run in Colorado in 2007.

Come out February 16 to celebrate active life and the coming of the running season!

&

The Bike World Warehouse Sale

Would you like to get a brand new bike for a lot less, just because it's last year's model?  Would you like to pick out an amazing deal on a used bike?  Would you like to find some great deals on accessories for your upcoming riding season?

If you answered "YES!" to any of these questions you'll want to watch the Bike World website for the dates of their Warehouse Sale.  This annual sale is a sign that the cycling season is right around the corner.

Central Iowa's greatest natural resource is definitely it's paved trail system!  We have access to hundreds of miles of paved trails branching out in every direction from Des Moines.  Gems like the Red Flower Prairie on the Neal Smith Trail on the east side of Saylorville, the High Trestle Bridge, and Grays Lake all are best seen by bike.  Colorful bars like the Cuming Tap, Flat Tire Lounge, and Latitude 41 floating restaurant and bar at Saylorville Marina support the thirst created by the sport.  This summer I'm most excited to ride the 80+ mile Raccoon River Valley Trail loop created by the brand new north section of the trail heading from Waukee to Dallas Center to Perry and then west to meet the existing trail north of Panorama.  Additionally, Ragbrai will come through Des Moines, with some of the shortest days on record available coming into and heading out of Des Moines.  This truly will be the summer of the cycle!


A sight along the Raccoon River Valley Trail

No comments: