Friday, August 30, 2013

Des Moines Chiropractic Newsletter - August

Compass Chiropractic August 2013 E-Newsletter


 


Road Construction!

We're sad to report that the 73rd / 8th Street exit off of 235 westbound will be closed for the next couple months.  For those coming to our office from downtown Des Moines, the best route will be the 63rd Street exit to University Avenue.

Please be aware that University Avenue has a 25 mph speed limit through Windsor Heights and is speed camera patrolled!  Though we fix backs and necks, we can't fix driving records or speeding tickets.

Compass Chiropractic Cutest Pet Contest Winner: Sheldon

Congrats Sheldon!  You won a $50 gift card to Iowa Pet Foods and Seascapes.

Thanks to all the rest of the dogs who participated in the contest!
 
 
Sheri's health class

Sandy recommends Watermelon.org
 
I look forward to consuming massive quantities of watermelon every summer.  And -- because I hate purchasing melons that are mushy, tasteless and not very sweet, I went in search of advice on how to pick the best melons.  I found great information on watermelon.org.  In addition to how to pick good melons, they give information on recipes and how to make beautiful and fun watermelon carvings.



Become a fruit ninja this summer!

Sheri recommends Nut Pob Restaurant

My new favorite restaurant!  Those of you who are Thai food fanatics have probably already discovered this little gem.  My friend has been trying to get me to go with her for months now and we were finally able to get it done.  They have one of the best Pad Thai dishes I have had.  We also ordered some crab rangoons that were fresh and awesome.  They have a great selection of dishes, serve large portions and the prices are right.  Located at 3322 Indianola Ave it could become a weekly stop for me very easily.  My list of dishes I want to try go from the Pho (noodle soup), especially the spicy Tom Yam to their fried rice, and the vermicelli.  For those who like the vegetarian side, there are some special dishes for you too.  Vegetable Pad Thai and Fried Rice are on my list to try.  Great place to get a good meal.  If you have not tried them, do yourself a favor and check them out.  I cannot wait to get the Pad Thai again later this week.

Enjoy!

Jenni recommends Chiropractic Checkups for Kids

With the school season soon approaching, it’s time for those school and sports physicals.  Since the age of 4 my son, Dalton, has been a three sport athlete; baseball, soccer and basketball.  He has been getting chiropractic care since he was a toddler.  Just remember with every slide into the base on the ball field, every high kick into the net in soccer and every jump in basketball, something can get out of line.  Maintenance is the key!
 


Dalton steps up to the plate

Dr. Krohse recommends NNW Healthy 100% Whey Protein Powder

Those of you who have read my newsletter for a while know that I am a big believer that most Americans wishing to maintain a healthier weight would benefit most from decreasing carbs.  My personal experience with the Standard Process Purification Program, which helped me drop 15 pounds in 21 days and 25 pounds in two months changed the way I looked at food.  Books like Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It by Gary Taubes and The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf helped me learn more why a lower carb, high veggie, moderate fruit, moderate protein, and moderate healthy fat diet worked for me.

As I discuss my diet with people, many people acknowledge that their brief trials of low carb eating also produced rapid results.  However, they found it hard to maintain.  For me, this NNW Healthy 100% Whey Protein Powder has been crucial to helping me drop and maintain weight.  I love the flavor and appreciate that it is sweetened by stevia and not sweeteners such as aspartame or splenda that have a more chemical taste and possibly more risk.  It comes in an abundance of flavors, but I generally use the vanilla and chocolate flavors to make a few favorite low carb "sweet treats."  it can be found exclusively at the Hy-Vee Health Markets.  A few of my favorites simple recipes are below:

Chocolate Milk/Mocha
•             Chocolate NNW
•             30-40 calorie/serving vanilla unsweetened almond milk
•             Coffee if you prefer a mocha

Reese's Peanut Butter Paste
•             1 spoon Smuckers Natural No-Sugar-Added Creamy Peanut Butter
•             1/2 serving scoop of Chocolate NNW
•             1 spoon coconut oil (optional)

Berry Good Low Carb Stick-To-Your-Ribs Yogurt
•             1/2 cup frozen triple berry mix (large bags from Target, Costco, or Walmart) microwaved to warm
•             1 cup Anderson Erickson Plain Greek Yogurt
•             1 scoop vanilla NNW

Berry Banana Smoothie
•             1 cup frozen triple berry mix
•             1/2 cup water
•             1 banana
•             1 cup AE Plain Greek Yogurt
•             1 scoop NNW Vanilla

&

MVP Sports Center (formerly Champions Sports Center)

A couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to provide a lunch and learn for the new staff of the MVP/Champions Sports Center.  This facility is located on Park Avenue near the southwest corner of waterworks park.  I was so impressed with their team and their plans for MVP as they develop it after purchasing it lately.  Zach McCool is definitely an ambitious young man ready to improve the athletic community in Des Moines with his team.

The main focuses of the MVP team are on providing great indoor space, coaching, and development for baseball, volleyball, basketball, football, and dance.  They have an amazing amount of space for these sports and shared that a number of teams rent their facility.  They also host tournaments and parties.  Additionally, MVP caters to the entire family with a cardio and weight room for mom or dad to work out in while their kids are improving in their sports.  Check out MVP Sports Center today!

No comments: