Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Des Moines Chiropractic Newsletter - June, 2014

Compass Chiropractic June, 2014 E-Newsletter

Saturday Hours Available through Summer!

Painful flareup?  Inflexible work schedule?  Gardening injury?

We’ll give you a hand this summer!  Saturday appointments are currently planned from 10:30 AM to 1:30 PM intermittently this summer.  Please call for availability.

Sandy Recommends Hail Merry's Miracle Tarts

In my endeavor to adopt healthier eating with an emphasis on paleo (mostly)  and much, much less gluten and processed sugar.....I stumbled across "Hail Merry's Miracle Tarts" at my local Whole Foods store.  I was determined to find something that met my criteria of healthier eating -- and yet didn't want to completely ignore the fact that I still crave a little something sweet now and then.  Hail Merry tarts did not disappoint.  I have tried the Meyer Lemon tart, the Persian Lime tart and the Dark Chocolate Mint tarts.  Very yummy!

Hail Merry also makes gluten-free, dairy-free macaroons and granola that I am looking forward to trying.


Sheri Recommends Gluten-Free Pancakes

Sunday mornings are my time to lounge a little.  I get up and go for a walk with Rileigh, have my cup of tea in a “real” ceramic mug instead of my travel mug, then settle in to watch Sunday Morning.  Lately I have been totally addicted to these yummy gluten-free pancakes!  They are so easy to make and if my husband likes them, knowing they are gluten-free, we have a winner folks!  They do take a little longer to cook than normal pancakes but they are awesome!  I like to add fresh blueberries once I pour them onto the griddle.  I have plans to try them as pumpkin and probably other fun concoctions.  Here is the recipe if you would like to try them yourself.

2 eggs
3/4 cup of rice flour
1 Tablespoon of baking powder
1/4 cup of oil-(I use olive or grape seed)
1/4 teaspoon  of salt
2 Tablespoons of sugar
3/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract-(I have also used almond)
1 cup of milk-(I use almond milk)

Place all dry ingredients into a medium-size bowl, add oil, eggs, vanilla, and milk.  Mix well, batter will thicken upon sitting.  Heat pan or griddle to medium heat.  Pour batter in pan by spoonful and spread it around to make desired size of pancake.  Because this batter thickens quickly it will not spread on its own like normal pancake batter.  Cook until small bubbles appear on the surface and the bottom is lightly browned on both sides.  Makes eight to ten 4 inch pancakes.


&

Walk Now for Autism Speaks

I am also gearing up to do the Walk Now for Autism Speaks again this year on Saturday June 14 with my brother and his family.  My great nephew, Cristian, has autism and I am part of the family team for Cristian’s Warriors!  We are a team so far of six with a modest goal of raising $2000.  My personal goal to raise is $500.  Below is my brother’s update on the walk and Cristian’s progress over this last year.  If you would like to help us out and donate to our cause we would truly appreciate it!  Here is a link that you can go to and donate to our team to help us reach our goal!  You can either click on the tab for a general team donation or scroll down and find my name (Sheri Turner Abresch) and click on it to make a donation.  Help us fund research and solve the puzzle of autism.  Thank You!   



Dr. Krohse Recommends Louie's Wine Dive & Pinot's Palette

For a great night out with friends or an entertaining date, I recommend Louie's Wine Dive for dinner and Pinot's Palette for some wine and painting.  On a recent Saturday evening, the Compass Chiropractic team had a night out and we had a blast!

Louie's Wine Dive is in the Uptown Shopping Center in the space formerly occupied by the Iowa Bagel Bakery and Cafe.  The small space is filled with dark woods and wine-themed decor.  Every time we have gone it has had a crowded energetic vibe with lots of laughter and chatter surrounding us.

The menu is diverse with fresh flatbread pizzas, pastas, burgers and more.  A couple personal favorites have been the lobster poutine which is crispy fries with Maine lobster, portobello mushrooms, green onions and fontina in a light seafood gravy and the Sinatra burger which is Capicola, roasted Roma tomatoes, shredded lettuce and fresh mozzarella on a brioche bun with Green Goddess dressing.  Obviously Louie's has a diverse selections of wines and beers to liven the evening.

Just a few blocks south in a space formerly housing Curves next to Action Accents and Boulevard Sports is Pinot's Palette.  Their specialty is hosting parties where you can enjoy a glass or two of wine while they guide you through painting.

We were a bit disappointed that our instructor looked nothing like Bob Ross.  She was an upbeat, bubbly local art teacher who cued up a great soundtrack of current and past hits to get the creative juices flowing (Madonna Pandora station if I remember right).  Pinot's Palette is BYOW (bring your own wine) so we pulled the corks out of a couple bottles we had selected at the HyVee over by Louie's.

Our instructor took us through the steps of painting a sample picture below.  It was fun to see how some in our group strived to perfectly recreate the sample while others created a much more liberal interpretation of the subject.  We all had a great time during the two hour process and enjoyed interacting with our instructor.

I highly recommend a night out at these two wine-themed venues along 42nd Street!


Artistic Ladies!
Dr. Krohse & his girlfriend, Val

No comments: