Monday, January 14, 2008

Red Flannel Run

Though I expect Compass Chiropractic to serve Des Moines area patients of all ages and all different athletic abilities, I am especially excited to become involved in the athletic community of the Des Moines area. Working with athletes spices up a providers day, as the results of the treatments are so clear, and many times their trained bodies respond so rapidly to care. At one point this last fall I had three starters from the Mount Vernon High School football team coming in to me for care. When they made it further into the postseason than they had in years it was great to feel some sense of shared victory. Of course, when they lost I told myself, "they must have stopped doing those stretches I recommended."

I worked with a marathoner who had a back injury shortly before he was set to run the 2006 Seattle marathon, with a goal of qualifying for Boston. Though we saw him improve before the race, he was not well enough to run by the race day. However, through my treatments and the back stabilizing exercises he was great about performing he recovered by the 2007 marathon. I'll probably never forget when he called to tell me he'd run the Seattle Marathon with a personal best and a Boston qualifying time. I'm still looking forward to hearing how he does in Boston.

Today I lined up an opportunity to provide pre and post race care for participants of the 2008 Red Flannel Run at the Riverfront YMCA in Des Moines on February 16. I'm thrilled to meet area runners and discuss/demonstrate Active Release Techniques care. I expect it will be the start of a rewarding career of helping Des Moines area athletes reach their goals and optimize and heal their bodies.

No comments: